Magento is one of the fastest growing self-hosted platforms in the Ecommerce industry. This popular platform now boasts over 250,000 active users. With so many enticing features, it isn’t difficult to see why. Magento’s platform is completely customisable, so you can create your perfect eCommerce shop with ease.
Magento is a platform that comes with powerful capabilities. However, it’s important that you understand this site is not for beginners. Magento can be difficult to operate if you have little to no tech experience.
To help you get started with your new Magento store, we’ve put together a handy guide outlining how you can apply and configure a new theme for your store.
Applying and Configuring a Theme for Your Magento Store
Firstly, you will need to add your theme to the file system. You apply your chosen theme in Admin mode.
A number of themes you can use can be easily installed in a matter of clicks. Magento Connect has a huge library of themes you can make use of. On the product page of your chosen theme, simply hit the Install Now button. You will then need to click the Extension Key button. This will show you the Theme Key required to complete the installation of your desired theme.
How to Enable Your Store Theme
There’s a number of steps you need to follow to successfully apply your chosen theme:
- Open the Admin section of your store and head to Stores > Configuration > Design.
- You will then be able to open the store view drop-down section and select the store view that you want to apply your theme to.
- You’ll then need to open the Design Theme tab. Here you can select your newly created theme in the drop-down selection.
- Click the Save Configuration button.
- If you have caching enabled, you’ll need to clear the cache.
- To see any changes you applied, simply reload your store front pages.
Adding a Design Exception to Your Magento Store
Design exceptions will allow you to set an alternative theme for Magento store. This means you won’t have to create separate store views for them. Adding a design exception is easy if you follow a couple of steps:
- Open your Admin section. Go to Stores > Configuration > Design.
- Find the Scope drop-down menu and select your store.
- Open your Design Theme tab and click the Add button next to the User-Agent Exceptions section.
- This will open a Search String box. Here you can choose the user-agent you want to use. You’ll then be able to select the theme you wish to use from the Design Theme drop-down menu.
- Hit the Save Config button.
- Reload your store front page to see any changes you have made.
Clearing Your Cache
If your Magento Admin caching is enabled, you will be required to clear the cache after you install a new theme or design exception.
Did this guide help you to give your Magento store a new look? Let us know in the comments below.