Websites are hacked everyday, so it’s vital to keep your WordPress website as secure as possible – you can never be secure enough! If you aren’t tech savvy, some of risk of being hacked and necessary safeguards can be difficult to understand, we’ve put together a few tips on how to make your WordPress site secure.
1. Admin Access Protection: This isn’t the core of protecting your site, but it can’t do any harm. Change the default “admin” user as soon as you set up your website. Yes, hackers can find usernames fairly easily, but this secures it further with the help of a strong password…
2. Strong Passwords: Your ‘generic’ password isn’t secure enough for your website, using the same password for everything so ‘you remember it’ isn’t ok! Use ten characters, upper and lowercase and with numbers and letters to ensure your website is secure.
3. The Right Web Host: Being on a shared server with numerous other websites can become a risk, make sure it’s just a small number (we suggest no more than 10 sites), on a hosting stack with proven safeguards.
4. Sensitive Information: Check your file structure, keep private information private! Your files will say which WordPress version you are running, an older version with a known security gap is prime targeting for hackers. Don’t leave anything to chance, leaving .sql database backups files gives hackers the opportunity to download your entire database.
5. Keep Updated: Updates are realised to introduce new features, fix bugs and patch up security holes – so make sure to upgrade to the latest available version, there’s no excuse not to! Vet plugins before implementing them, just like WordPress, a plugin needs to be updated regularly.
6. Monitor: Server-side scanning is vitally important. Find a method than can scan through your file structure to detect breaches.
7. Keep On The Ball: Keep up to date with what’s going on, when a known attack is happening. Follow twitter accounts that are likely to highlight any WordPress security breaches – the same hackers could easily be targeting you too!