Sources have put the rate of shopping cart abandonment at 71%. That’s 71% of your potential sales that don’t actually happen. There are a number of reasons for this including:
- Site visitor was just browsing and storing wish list items in their shopping cart.
- Shipping costs putting customers off.
- Lack of coupon for the sale.
- Customer was looking and comparing prices before the sale.
- Customer wasn’t ready to complete the purchase.
- The price was just too high, either in the moment or generally.
You can avoid shopping cart abandonment on your site in a number of ways.
- Firstly, always display your prices, both for products, and shipping and handling fees in a prominent position. This means that there will be no sudden surprises at the checkout.
- Find ways to tempt your customers to make a sale. Try coupons, discounts and offers of free shipping (if you don’t offer this already!) if a customer spends over a certain amount.
- Make your site easy to navigate so that customers can find everything that they need.
- Try a live customer support function so that if the customer runs into any difficulties, they can be directed to the right place and given appropriate advice.
- Try an extension which is designed to reduce shopping cart abandonment.
Abandoned Cart Emails Magento Extension is a handy tool that can stop you worrying about your cart abandonment rate. It allows you to send emails to customers about their shopping cart, with offers and discounts to help persuade people at the brink of purchase to take the next step and complete the sale after an abandoned cart.
Abandoned carts can represent not an issue for your business but an opportunity to increase your conversion rate by engaging with customers even after they have left your site.
There’s plenty of help out there to improve your Magento stores functionality in the form of extensions. Which extensions do you find most helpful? Comment below!