It only takes a matter of seconds of someone landing on your website and making the decision of whether to stay on it or leave. That means the design of your website has to be appealing, eye catching and hold their attention. Elementary discuss 10 tips for improving your website design to make sure this happens.
1. Easy to use navigation: If it takes more than 2/3 clicks for a person to find what they are looking for on your website, you will lose them. A simple, easy-to-use navigation is crucial in holding their attention and ultimately turning browsers into buyers. A good web design agency will spend the time planning your website navigation so that it is both user friendly and SEO friendly.
2. A clear logo: Your brand needs to be instantly recognisable when someone lands on your website. Make sure it is clear and professional and so that it links back to your homepage.
3. Don’t colour-overload: A simple, professional, clean design will look friendly and creative enough without throwing loads of colours in there. This can be overpowering and put people off, a modern elegant approach is much more appealing to the eye. Use small amounts of colour for main headings and key points, using images to add further colour and creativity.
4. Images are key: Images sell everything. Clean, well-photographed images enhance your products/services more than your words will. We recommend professional photography to really showcase what you can offer your customers – your company isn’t generic, so your images shouldn’t be either.
5. Reader friendly fonts: Your font choice should be appealing and easy on the eye to read, as well as easy to read on all devices. Your font should look the same whether on a mobile, a tablet or a laptop and easy to read across all browsers – make sure this is all tested before your website goes live.
6. Understand the fold: Your call to action needs to be in the top portion of your website, above the fold. Homepage images should also appear in the top portion of your website, so that instantly browsers are hooked on the imagery.
7. Responsive design is everything: Customers browse on their laptops, their mobiles, their tablets and any other device possible, so your website has to react to these changes in screen size. A responsive website isn’t a luxury anymore, it should be a necessity for your website design. Your web design agency should be able to advice you on responsive websites, and explain how creating a better user experience can translate into higher conversion rates.
8. Buttons: Your buttons should be appealing and fit in with the design of the rest of your website, browsers shouldn’t be able to resist pressing on the buttons and getting in contact with you!
9. Don’t over crowd: Spread your text and images out, don’t cram everything into small spaces and make it un-readable to your customers. Controlling the white space on your website will improve the user experience, and increase returns from the website.
10. Test test test: Test your colours, test your call to action placements, test your fonts – everything! Creating an attractive, innovative and easy-to-use website design is a trial and error process to make sure it is perfect. Test everything on all devices and across all browsers and make sure you put yourself in your customer’s shoes – are they going to love it and convert from browsers, into buyers? We hope so!